Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:35:26 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Networking Nerds <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 autoconf addresses with changing RAs...

Hi,

>>>>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:23:22 -0800
>>>>> "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net> said:

ab> I guess the proper way would be rtadvd's prefix lifetime configuration
ab> (maxinterval, pltime and vltime).  I set it to maxinterval#20,
ab> pltime#90, vltime#130.  You *must* also delete old prefixes from the
ab> internal interface(s), or rtadvd will continue advertising them because
ab> it will think those old prefixes are still valid.

Yes, it right.  I'm using similar setting in my home network.

ab> One caveat is, though, you can't let rtadvd pick all the prefixes from
ab> internal interfaces (i.e. those that don't have rltime#0 specified),
ab> because that way rtadvd uses default parameters (maxinterval#30,
ab> pltime#86400, vltime#259200) for the prefixes it picked up; this is too
ab> long.  Specifying pltime/vltime without an addr directive seems to have
ab> no effect (contrary to what the example in rtadvd.conf(5) suggests).
ab> You have to automatically regenerate rtadvd.conf from the
ab> linkup/linkdown scripts to specify/remove the 6to4 prefixes calculated
ab> then SIGHUP the rtadvd.  I wonder if the latest KAME version of rtadvd
ab> has any solution to this problem.

It may better that rtadvd(8) have global default setting of the
values.
Unfortunately, rtadvd(8) shipped with FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE and
5-CURRENT are very similar to KAME's. :)
It seems that KAME folks separates static configuration from dynamic
configuration.

ab> /me looks in the general direction of Umemoto-san ^^

^^;

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/