Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:35:48 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        takawata@freeBSD.org, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des@des.no>, current@freeBSD.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: HPET vs other timers

On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 12:52:47PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> I don't know what the cause is, only that it is empirically the
>>> slowest of all the timers in this workload.  Can you provide
>>> supporting evidence that it is fact faster than all the alternatives
>>> in other workloads?
>>
>> It's not the workload, it's the system.  These timers are provided by
>> the chipset and enabled by the BIOS and so the behavior is
>> system-dependent.  Of course, it shouldn't be that way and this
>> should
>> always be the fastest timer but when it comes to the BIOS, major
>> mistakes and weird behavior are always expected.
>>
>> HPET will be the main timer for Vista and is faster on at least one
>> system according to this study.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/CEC/mm-timer.mspx
>>
>> More info:
>> http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/
>>
>> Perhaps we should implement profiling of all timecounters instead
>> of a
>> hard-coded quality value?
>
> That might be a good idea.  Failing that, I'd say that we at least
> need some convincing evidence that HPET is indeed fast on a suitably
> large subset of existing systems.

I have a Intel 5000P based system that is picking HPET.  How can I
profile it for y'all?

(The system is running -CURRENT from yesterday, and I can also give
SSH access to some folks if they want).

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893