Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:59:38 -0500
From:      Curt Dox <tigersharke@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deciding UFS vs ZFS

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have two 'big' filesystems, UFS and ZFS. How do people decide when
> to use which? I'm trying to build a "decision matrix" of when to use
> each.
>
> My virtualization system runs KVM, so I use UFS on VMs. Restoring
> ZFS disk images via dd can be problematic.
>
> For larger boxes running on real iron, I use ZFS.
>
> But there's a whole range of conditions between these two. And the way
> to fill in the gray spaces is to ask.
>
> So, how do you decide to use which filesystem?
>
> ==ml
>
> --
> Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
> http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/

UFS is something I had little choice about, it was the default at the time.
 Now that ZFS
exists for FreeBSD and I am well aware that it enjoys "the more the better"
amount of
RAM.  When I have a system that will be capable of up to 32GB RAM (or more)
and I
plan for redundancy (raidz1 or raidz2) with easy upgrades to larger
capacity (once all
drives match the larger size), and faster access times due to multiple
spindles, then
ZFS is my choice.  I generally plan for redundancy and expandability which
means ZFS
has become my own default.  I am definitely a ZFS neophyte but unafraid :)