Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:39:31 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Jose Borquez <bsdlists@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions group <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server

Jose Borquez schrieb:
> I am attempting to create a mysql database so that I can install Group
> Office using
> mysqladmin create groupoffice and I keep getting the following errors:
>
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!
>
> I looked in /tmp and mysql.sock is not there.
>
> Can someone please tell me what is wrong and what I need to do to
> correct this?

I install MySQL this way and the socket is there for me:

# rm -R /var/db/mysql				// removes old databases
# pkg_add -r mysql41-server			// install software
# ls -l /tmp/mysql.sock
ls: /tmp/mysql.sock: No such file or directory
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh forcestart	// start server
# ls -l /tmp/mysql.sock
srwxrwxrwx  1 mysql  wheel  0 14 Dez 08:32 /tmp/mysql.sock
# echo 'mysql_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

That's it.

Björn