Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:01:14 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Jaroshenko Serge <jaroshenko@mail.ru>
To:        James Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW vs IP-Filter

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, James Wilde wrote:

> I've checked the handbook and other sources on IPFW and IP-Filter and I
> would appreciate some comments on the two.
>
> I assume that one uses either/or and not both.  IPFW is compiled into the
> kernel but IP-Filter runs as an application.

ipfilter is compiled into kernel -  see LINT :

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
                                        # dropped packets
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
options         IPFILTER                #ipfilter support
options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging
options         IPSTEALTH               #support for stealth forwarding

> I don't know if there is any
> advantage or disadvantage in this.  I have always seen IP-Filter as being
> the richer in functionality with its statefulness and extra keywords, for
> example, the 'quick' keyword.
>
> My filter of choice therefore has hitherto been IP-Filter.  Is there
> anything I am missing?  What are the pros and cons of the two alternatives -
> and, in fact, any others that the panel would like to consider.

What packet filter install - your choice!

I use ipfilter-3.4.11 - in this version nat work correct for
M$ IExploder5 ftp protocol.

Sorry for bad english!
Best regards!
Serge.