Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:45:48 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vm_page_cache & sendmail dying

	Came in to find that sendmail had died on the following box ( uname
-a ) :

FreeBSD pebkac.owp.csus.edu 3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #0: Fri Nov
19 10:39:46 PST 1999
root@pebkac.owp.csus.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/PEBKAC  i386

	After a quick look in root's mail I discover several items from the
log file :

> pid 58426 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> pid 58542 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> pid 58612 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> pid 59958 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> pid 60331 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> pid 60344 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> pid 190 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> vm_page_cache: attempting to cache busy page
> pid 60354 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 6

	Needless to say it looks like something is happening with
vm_page_cache on this box that is not making sendmail happy.  Any
thoughts as to what might be the problem?  This is a brand new box
from about 1 month ago, PII450.  I'm cvsup'ing -STABLE right now in a
hope that it's been resolved already.

	Thanks.

--

Joseph Scott