Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:25:10 -0500
From:      Dave Crimm <dcrimm@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with FreeBSD and apache

Hello.  I hope I'm not asking a question that had already been answered
elsewhere, but I can't find any information, so I'll pester you kind people :)

I recently setup a freebsd box [v4.4].  The installation went smoothly, I
setup everything I needed, and everything worked as expected.  I installed
apache1.3 straight from the installation program.  However, when I setup
apache [made the appropriate changes to httpd.conf] and started having
friends access the rudimentary test webpages i made, I got strange results:
certain machines [outside of the machines on my LAN] can only see the text
portions of my webpages, while some machines can see the text and images on
the webpages.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency with what machines
can only see text and which machines can see text and images.  I have had
around 12 different people access these webpages, some with dialup
connections, some with dedicated connections, and even someone using a
macintosh.

The only consistent aspect is that when a person's machine can't see the
images, they can't see the images on both ie and netscape.

My freebsd machine is connected to a router, which is connected to a dsl
line.  DHCP is turned off on the router, and the router is setup to forward
requests from port 80 to the freebsd box.  I'm having my friends access
this machine using just the ip address, not through a name [yet].  Also,
NFS is not setup on this machine, and i can telnet and ftp to this machine
fine [although telnet connections do sometimes hang for no reason].

I've tried many [many] different solutions, and read as much information as
I could find, but I'm having no luck fixing this.  Any comments or
suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dave
dcrimm@cs.cmu.edu