Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:34:07 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO in 4.1 && 5.0 for alpha?

>Justin- things work a lot better on alphas when they use mem space in
>preference to I/O space- in particular I just got bit by a 3940 not working
>(past the bridge) in I/O space.
>
>Do you mind if I we set this option into the GENERIC for alpha?

As far as I'm concerned, the "allow memio" options in drivers are
a hack that was supposed to be temporary.  Memory mapped I/O should
always be preferred and the allocation fail if the path to the device
cannot support it.  Unfortunately we don't have that mechanism yet.

In the mean time, I'll let others dictate the default policy for which
type of access method is attempted first.

--
Justin