Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:57:01 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Kerberos to file server

On Monday 04 August 2003 09:02 pm, Tillman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:26:41PM -0700, Michael Collette wrote:
> > The FreeBSD Handbook has a Kerberos tutorial, but it's apparently out of
> > date or something just ain't right.
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kerberos.html
> >
> > First thing it asks me to do is initialize the Kerberos database with the
> > "kdb_init" command.  I don't have a kdb_init command on this system.  I
> > then just installed the krb5 port, and it doesn't have that command
> > either. Double checked the package list.
> >
> > It looks like a number of things don't match up to the tutorial.  Is
> > there some new procedure out there to configure a Kerberos enabled
> > machine, or am I just missing some key component in a perfectly fine
> > tutorial?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> The handbook is out of date -- it cover Kerberos 4, not 5. Check out my
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg19447.html
>
> -T

I have been looking at those docs.  The part I don't get are the file paths
involved, as they're very non-FreeBSD'ish.  /usr/local/var??

Do I need to alter environment variables to put things into their proper
places, or create the directories that it expects?  I would expect config
files for a port to be in /usr/local/etc/krb5 or some such.

BTW, working with the MIT version now, since installing the port and all.
Also got the pam_krb5 port in there as well.  I think I'm about ready to
really muck this thing up once I understand what all I need to do about file
paths.

Later on,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."