Date:      Fri,  7 May 1999 14:39:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
To:        kristopher <kzentner@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: lptest gives "device not configured" (fwd)

nlpt0 was changed back to lpt0.  adjust your kernel config file and
recompile.  this should have gone into src/UPDATING.

-j

Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 00:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: kristopher <kzentner@u.washington.edu>
Subject: lptest gives "device not configured" (fwd)

If anyone can help me on this I will be very grateful as this has
frustrated me to no end today (I've even resorted to taking my system
apart to make sure the lpt port is plugged in correctly).
version: FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #28 (I made world today to see if that would
                                 fix anything)
what's in my kernel file:
device           ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7
controller       ppbus0
device           nlpt0   at ppbus?

what dmesg says:
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Winbond chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 540> MLC,PCL,PML

what happens when I print something using lpr:
gabrielle# lpr -Ppenelope resume
gabrielle# lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       128  resume                                3403 bytes

okay then I try lptest:
gabrielle# lptest > /dev/lpt0
/dev/lpt0: Device not configured.

Trying to remake the device using MAKEDEV doesn't do anything helpful. I'm
pretty certain that the device isn't supposed to be nlpt0. To make sure
the printer itself isn't broken I tried printing a test page in Win95
which works. This system *used* to print before. I just have no idea why
it doesn't want to now. I've omitted my printcap because I know lptest
doesn't use it and that should at least work. Any suggestions, or words of
enlightenment are very much appreciated.