Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:48:52 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        <freebsd-current@fair-ware.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about KLDs...

"Paul A. Howes" <freebsd-current@fair-ware.com> writes:
> This may be a fairly elementary question, but I have not seen this
> addressed in the Handbook at all -- Which is the preferred method for
> using drivers:  KLDs or compiling into the kernel?  Are there some that
> work better one way than the other?

Drivers compiled into the kernel can be compiled with specific
options, and they make debugging easier in case of a panic (provided
you get a dump).

Some drivers fail to initialize properly if they are not loaded at
boot time (i.e. compiled into the kernel *or* enabled in loader.conf)
and of course some drivers (such as those you need to access your root
partition) *must* be present at boot time.

Leaving drivers out of your kernel config saves some compilation time,
since unless you tweak MODULES_OVERRIDE to only build modules you know
that you will need, everything in your kernel which is also a module
gets built twice.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org