Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 07:52:19 -0600
From:      Dan Riley <daniel@vailsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   utmp errors?

I seem to have run into a bit of a problem with xterms and rexec logins
and maybe utmp...

First of all my local xterm login shells (X started with xdm) do not
show up, I have at least 4 xterms open as daniel (root is on the console
not
xtermed):

>slave1 daniel /home/daniel > w
>12:14PM  up  2:35, 1 user, load averages: 0.14, 0.27, 0.26
>USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
>root     v0  -                 9:55AM  2:17 -csh (csh)
>slave1 daniel /home/daniel > finger
>Login    Name                 TTY  Idle  Login Time   Office     Office
Phone
>root     Charlie Root        *v0   2:17  Thu    09:55
>slave1 daniel /home/daniel > who
>root     ttyv0   Mar  6 09:55

neither do xterm login shells started remotely via rexec or with a +ut
option:
>slave1 daniel /home/daniel > xterm -ls +ut
>slave1 daniel /usr/home/daniel > who
>root     ttyv0   Mar  6 09:55
>el       3       Dec 31 18:00
>4        W
>~3ttypJul 27 23:16
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what in the world is this entry?

>slave1 daniel /usr/home/daniel > w
>w: /dev//3: No such file or directory
 ^^^^^^^^^^^
and this?

but if I rlogin localhost from a xterm or just on a virtual tty they
seem to show up normally:
>slave1 daniel /usr/home/daniel > w
>12:15PM  up  2:35, 2 users, load averages: 0.28, 0.29, 0.26
>USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
>root     v0  -                 9:55AM  2:18 -csh (csh)
>daniel   p3  localhost        12:15PM     - w
it worked ?!?!

I am running 2.2-Gamma but see the same sort of weirdness on 2.1.5/6
systems, any clues as to what I may have mis-configured or what is goin
on?

Thanks