Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:54:26 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MacOS "Samba" for FreeBSD/viceversa?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:43:13PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> You know that "Samba" program for mounting FreeBSD drives to Windows?
>
> What like it is there for MacOS, or must you just run transparent [s]ftp or
> something?  Just curious.  No plans to be a switcher@apple.com - I poke at
> MacOS like a 5' twig against a cat on a freeway...

Yup, just about transparent for file sharing, though not for
printing--you type in something like, smb://192.168.1.100 and if the Mac
user has an account and an smbpassword (a smbpassword? Hrmm--a or an?)
anyway, it's like sharing files in an MS network (or MS to samba).
Printing however, isn't transparent--I had a bit of trouble setting it
up, my wife lost patience, told me to stop playing with her machine and
hook up the cheap printer that was thrown in with it.  :)

HTH

Scott Robbins