Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:39:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mark Giglio <markgiglio@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hotmail converted from freeBSD

Mark Giglio <markgiglio@yahoo.com> types:
> I am interested in FreeBSD and how it compares to
> other systems like win2000, esp because I would like
> to build a big powerful super computer and am
> investigating options for my os.

Well, on this list you won't hear anyone recommending much else. If
you are serious about a very large system, you might want to look at
commercial RISC Eunices with lots of processors, but most people think
that managing lots of smaller systems (i.e. - SMP FreeBSD systems) is
a better approach.

> first of all, (please humbly pardon my ignorance) what
> does the comment re sockets mean.

"One process per socket" means that there is one process listening on
each socket you have open.

> secondly, is this true about bsd.

This model is indeed inefficient on FreeBSD - and every other OS I
know of. If there's an OS out there that can handle this model
efficiently at the levels required for a busy web server, I'd like to
hear about it.

> and thirdly, can it be improved, or is it a property of cgi and fixed?

Oh, it can definitely be improved. Most modern web servers use a
threaded model, with one thread per socket. That's the recommended
model on Win9X, so I suspect that's what they went to at Hotmail. They
could have done the same on FreeBSD, but it would have required hiring
talent they didn't have or want, whereas they probably have more Win2K
talent than anyone else on earth.

For killer performance, you go to a single thread of control for all
your sockets and use the Unix select() syscall. This makes all the
technical headaches associated with threaded systems and separate
address spaces disappear, cuts the overhead associated with context
switches, and in general simply screams.

Win9X doesn't have a native select() call. The Cygnus tools apparently
simulate it using threads (which throws out about half the
advantages). I suspect that the same is true of Win2K

> if it is not true, then surely there is no need to
> migrate to Win2000 at all ....

MS migrated to Win2K for business reasons, not technical ones. That
you don't have and don't want anyone with the talents to do the job on
the existing system is a valid reason to migrate, but it *isn't* a
technical reason.

	<mike