Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:41:25 -0400
From:      "Ian Molee" <molee@mindspring.com>
To:        "Glenn Johnson" <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CFLAGS for building ports? and GNOME usage

Thanks, Glenn, for your response.

> the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and many other variables are set in
> '/usr/share/mk/sys.mk' on a system wide basis.

So they are.  Thanks for this info.  I'm far more familiar with GNU make, so
the concept of this sys.mk file is one that's new to me. :|  I finally found
where XFree86 does indeed set CFLAGS to -O2, but this took extracting the
sources and a little digging in the work/ directory.

> I don't know what to say about your observed sluggishness, but

Well, in this case, perhaps I need to ask a more general question, and stop
trying to analyze my problem:  Is anyone here using GNOME?  If so, are there
aspects that seem unacceptably slow?  For example, simple interaction with
GTK+ widgets--in the GNOME Control Center, for example--like clicking a
checkbox or selecting a radio button--does not seem to work properly.
Specifically, a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay (approximately) occurs before the
widget visually reflects my input.  :(  Additionally, moving windows around
the desktop seems slightly jumpy--more so than when I log in as root and run
BlackBox (sans GNOME).  This last judgement is, though, a subjective
analysis at best.  Any feedback from folks running GNOME would be
appreciated, although feedback from folks who have seen similar symptoms and
fixed them would be _most_ appreciated. ;)  I've seen GNOME running on
slower Linux machines without the reported sluggishness, so I know it's
nothing that GNOME itself is doing wrong. :|

KDE doesn't seem to have the widget-level problems, but it still doesn't
feel very snappy.  This is all on a Celeron 300A (running at 387MHz
currently) with 128 MB of RAM, primarily using WindowMaker as my window
manager.  I'd think that this ought to be plenty of computing resources for
these environments.

Since I was talking about GNOME, a couple more points: (1) is it common and
expected to get bunches of errors from GTK and GDK?  (2) are *.core files
pretty much to be expected (gnome-cc seems to like to dump core)?  and (3)
has anyone gotten Enlightenment to run reliably for longer than ten or so
minutes?!

<sigh> vtwm might not be such a bad idea. ;)  (Although I want to be able to
utilize the technologies being developed in environments like GNOME and
KDE.)

> > Additionally, is there a way to easily rebuild only the ports that
> > you've already built and installed?
>
> [...]
> called "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER= YES". Uncomment this line and then you can
> do a 'make install', after a 'make clean', for your port and it will
> force the port to reinstall after a rebuild.

Right--I'm familiar with this, but what I'm really looking for is the
ability to do something like "cd /usr/ports; make
rebuild-and-reinstall-currently-installed-packages".  I'd like for this make
target to actually exist, but I know only of "reinstall" and "install," both
of which will visit each directory in the ports tree and do an install.  I'd
like for it to visit only the directories from which I have previously
installed ports.  A pipe dream?

Thanks again,
Ian