Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 23:39:54 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how do i unmount cdrom, floppy, etc

Aaron Parmelee wrote:

> hello out there:
>
>  today i tried to mount my cdrom, floppy drive, and zip drive. i
> successfully mounted the floppy, but i couldn't mount anything else after.
> i kept getting "device busy" flag. how do i unmount devices so that i can
> mount other devices?

Hmm, without a bit more specific info I can't be sure, but it sounds
like you were trying to mount everything on the same mount point
(directory) at the same time.

If you did (as root) something like:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

to mount the floppy, and then did:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt

to try and mount the cdrom, then it will fail coz the floppy needs to be
unmounted first (can't mount >1 device on the same dir at the same
time).

Try:

umount /mnt
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt

or, mount the CD on a different mount point.

FWIW, I mount the floppy on /pcfs, the CD on /cdrom, and if I had a Zip
drive I'd probably use /zip.

> incidently, the floppy was fd0, msdos filesystem.
>
> thanks
> -aaron
> "My motto is: do it my way or watch your butt."

Isn't that Bill Gates' motto as well ;-)

> -Nathan Arizona

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com