Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 18:23:17 -0400
From:      nm <nm@vt.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more disk trouble

At 02:14 PM 5/1/00 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
<snip>
>> Well I tried this and I get the same results as before :(
>
>What did you try?  Exact commands and output; I can't read over your
>shoulder, and I'm too busy to hack into your box to do it myself.

first, I...
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 count=16
disklabel da1

This just gives me the same error message that I reported the first
time:
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

Next, I...
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 count=160
disklabel da1

Just in case 16 sectors wasn't enough.  Same results.  Next I tried
dd'ing a sector worth of 'hello world' to the disk and dd'd it back
just to make sure that it actually got dd'd.  (It did).

So I booted up the NetBSD install disk and started installing... Once
the hard disk was labeled and newfs was under way I canceled the
install.

Now it works fine and I can disklabel under FreeBSD without any
problems.

Maybe the install program for NetBSD automatically clears out the
first few sectors before making a new label...

I am wondering if when I ran disklabel after the dd, I should have
used a -r to make sure that it read it from the disk rather than
from memory.  That may have been the problem?

I don't know if this means much, but disklabel /dev/rda1c appears
to work.  Should it not?

Nick Maniscalco