Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:49:19 -0500
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        Mark Ibell <marki@ihug.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 Help

owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 10:49:17PM +1200, Mark Ibell wrote:
> >     I've just CVsup'd to 2.2.6 Release and thought I might try updating
> > /etc & /dev as well as doing a standard make world. Oops... I have
> > FreeBSD on the second partition (wd0s2) but made the entries for wd0s1
> > instead. By that I mean wd0s1a ... wd0s1h. Now only the root
> > partition mounts, and in read only mode so I can't make the proper
> > /dev entries. So am I like totally f####d or what?
>
> To remount the / as read-write, just
>
>     # mount -u /

[...]

I had the same problem.  The command "mount -u /" will fail with the
message:
	Specified device does not match mounted device.
Specifying "mount -u /dev/wd0s3a /" fails because /dev/wd0s3a does
not exist and can't be created until it is mounted read-write.

My work around was to mount another file system that could mount
correctly via the compatability devices (my zip drive: /dev/sd0)
and create the appropriate entries as:
	/zip/dev/
I was then able to do "mount -u /zip/dev/wd0s3a /" and from there
I could edit /etc/fstab and do a "MAKEDEV wd0s3{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h}".
Perhaps you could put floppy in /dev/fd0 and make the devices
there. (I just happened to have a freebsd zip disk handy, but not
a freebsd floppy disk).

Now my question:  I can sort of understand why the devs are not created
when one does a "MAKEDEV all" (72 entries for wd0 alone!), but why
aren't they created when one does "MAKEDEV wd0s3".  The latter only
creates one (useless) entry: wd0s3.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@srtc.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850