Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 19:04:15 -0700
From:      "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:40:49AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Just installed 3.2-RELEASE from scratch, have only had time so far to
> > > install a new kernel onto her, and just installed netscape from ports:
> > >
> > > atelier# /usr/local/netscape-4.51/netscape
> > > Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.
> >
> > The netscape binary is a.out format.  You need to install the FreeBSD a.out
> > compat libraries and dynamic linker/loader as well as the a.out versions of
> > the X libraries.
>
> There's a bug in the compat22 distball that causes this.  We'll update
> it sometime today (look for new timestamps on the compat22 stuff); the
> fixed version will be on the CDROMs as well.

As of yesterday (99/05/20), there still seems to be a problem when doing
a "buildworld/installworld" w/ COMPAT22=YES however...

I sucked down the compat22 distball, and it worked, but a build w/
COMPAT22=YES didn't.  The only difference seems to be the presence
of /usr/lib/exec/ld.so.  All the other aout compatibility libraries/files
seem to be there, but ld.so is missing...