Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:24:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Clive Wishart <clive.wishart@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE:

On 08-Mar-00 Clive Wishart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of older PC 486's with either 8 or 16 Mb memory and
> 100 or 200Mb hard disks which I would like to re-use as neworked
> print
> server boxes for use with both unix and NT. I would like to install
> minimum sytem for print services and print accounting including
> LPRng
> and Samba. As a relative newcomer to FreeBSD I would like to know
> what
> the minimum requirements would be. The installation would have to
> be
> via ftp so which installation options should I select?
> Suggestions for disk slice sizes ie / swap /var /user would be
> useful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive.

Dunno about FreeBSD 3.xx but I recently installed 2.2.5 (an older
2.2.8 would also work I imagine. I just happened to have the 2.2.5
disks at home) with 8 megs of RAM, and 258 Meg drive. In the
past I have installed it with 4 megs, even though the docs
clearly state 5 megs as a minimum? The 386/40 seems to do all right,
yes, a bit sluggish it is:)

Anyway, installing a 'smallest distribution possible' may fit within
200 Megs with samba too. I have no experience with LPRng. The
/var/spool requires much space. I fear you cannot use the 100 Meg
disks for the system, but perhaps they will lend themselves to
/var/spool?

When installing, select 'Auto Defaults for All' to find out what it
recommends for /, /usr, /var and swap. My little experience say that
you could well accept these values. FreeBSD seems to swap cleverly so
the swapping traffic not really interferes with normal work. I have
squeezed / down to 17 Megs, below that the install failed.

Cram in as much memory as possible, and, since you can't
use a box with a single 100M drive anyway I suggest you use this disk
for /var/spool.

/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se