Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:38:11 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to make an Intel EtherExpress known to xe(4)?

As Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> OK, I've tried this one, and it now works on my machine.  What would
> be the implication of using this code with a card which doesn't
> return the FCS?

The upper layers would kill 4 bytes off the end of each packet, i. e.
it'll be unusable.  But my guess is that these chips do always return
the FCS as part of the packet.  You can easily watch this by
tcpdumping ping packets: the regular ping payload data are simply
counted up, you see them in the sent packet.  The reply packet
contains the same payload data copied over from the request packet,
plus four bytes of "junk" at the end.

Well, my guess is that returning the CRC can be turned off as well.
The author of our driver wrote that he blindly copied the init flags
from the Linux driver without understanding then...  And one of the
flags reads `CRC'.  I guess this means we explicitly ask the card to
return the CRC to us.

I just decided to write a mail to DD9JN, the author of the Linux
driver.