Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:57:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net (Kevin Eliuk)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> Here is a problem I had and what I included in a
> previous question.
>
> -=*
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
>
>  Heres one I can't find in the archives.
>
>  I tried to mount a 720Kb DOS Floppy with:
>
>  /sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
>  today  which  returned an input/output error, and returned to
>  tcsh prompt. I was interupted and while dealing with  that  I
>  turned to notice the following.
>
>  Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode

Anything with an invalid FS format on it that is nevertheless mounted
can send the kernel off into the weeds.

This is why you must be root to mount things: to prevent this from
being a proble, since you only give the root password to people who
only mount correct media.

The fd problems you are reporting in general are either (1) incorrect
media, or (2) correct media that, for whatever reason, looks incorrect
to the floppy driver.

In other words, it is as if you had mounted bad media, and, as expected,
the machine went into the weeds.

Note that you can eject floppies on a Sun machine wihout unmounting
them; this is commonly used in student labs with the DOSFS, which is
known to synchronously write all its data.

You can eject the disk, and load another one, and it will operate
correctly, without needing to sync before disk changes, etc., unlike
the faster-because-it-is-cached FFS.

But you can put a non-DOS formatted disk in the drive, access it, and
crash the machine very easily.  "Fixing" this would be prohibitively
high in overhead for normal use.  It's a trade-off.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.