Date:      12 Mar 2002 12:25:04 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: loose packages

Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz> writes:

> > From: mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>
> > Sorry, this is not the solution.
> > To do this there must be packages in /usr/ports/distfiles or
> > anywhere, isn't ?
>
>     Yes. Like on the internet. If you do
>     # cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2
>     # make install
>     it'll fetch the necessary tarballs from internet, place them in
>     /usr/ports/distfiles, unpack, compile, and install the software.
>
> > So the only way to reinstal KDE is to do it from my isntall CD, but
> > HOW ?
>
>     that's not true. Kris already gave you the correct answer.

Be nice. New people may still be under the misapprehension from reading
CD cases and the Handbook that they only need the set of FreeBSD CDs to
use FreeBSD, at least until the next set is released.

   To compile a port, you simply change to the directory of the program
   you wish to install, type make install, and let the system do the
   rest. The full original distribution for each port you build is
   retrieved dynamically off the CDROM or a local FTP site, ...

Mr. mess-mate is learning the truth the discouraging way.  I think the
intro stuff should warn upfront that users of the OS are very apt to be
significantly hindered by broken or quickly obsoleted software if they
don't have a good Internet connection.  Maybe that should go without
saying, but I don't think so.  I've found myself "needing" to download
MUCH more than I ever did with Linux.  I suspect that many on dial-up
find it intolerable.  I don't know what can be done about it except
to stop telling newbies they need to run a full cvsup and ports upgrade
every time they have a problem (or even regularly).  It is good advice
for some, but I'm sure it drives others away before they learn how to
avoid the frequent downloading.