Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 03:08:37 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: okay... what exactly does cvs do?

On Wednesday 01 August 2001  2:23 am, Bsd Newbie wrote:
> After reading a bit about cvs and listening to what
> people said about it, I got the impression that it
> updates everything in the ports directory.

CVS = The Concurrent Version System. This is the system that FreeBSD uses to
allow us to keep lots of different versions of files, including all of
FreeBSD's source code, documentation and ports collection.

We then assign 'tags' to certain versions of files, to create different
streams of development. Like 'HEAD' for FreeBSD-CURRENT, 'RELENG_4' for
FreeBSD-STABLE, etc..

> I run cvsup twice a week, so I thought I'd have the
> latest updates.

CVSup is a program that examines the files installed on your machine with the
files on a central server.

What files it checks depends on what you ask it to check, through a
'supfile'. See the example supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/

Also read the handbook http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ as it does explain
these concepts.

Your ports collection will not be updated if you only update your source. And
vice-versa. You need to check what supfile you are using.

> Last night I tried install mozilla and when I did a
> 'make clean && make && make install' the installation
> started downloading an older version of mozilla.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. If you are updating your ports collection, don't forget you
only get the most recent version of the port, which may not be the most
recent version of the actual software available elsewhere. Most port
maintainers regularly update their ports to keep resonably up to date. But if
you are unhappy with the version of mozilla in the ports collection, you
should look to install it yourself from http://www.mozilla.org

> I also did a 'make world' and after I did that typing
> 'uname -v' gives the following:
>
>  FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
>    jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

That information comes from the kernel, which would imply that you didn't
install a new kernel when you remade the world, which would imply you didn't
read the instructions on how to keep up to date by using 'make world' as
given in the handbook.

Hope all that helped.

Andrew.