Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:17:21 -0800
From:      George Davidovich <freebsd@optimis.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount dump0 as ISO9660 filesystem?

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:27:48PM -0800, Nerius Landys wrote:
> I heard somewhere that you can mount a dump as an ISO9660 filesystem,
> but I cannot find any Google answers on this subject.  I took my dump
> in the following fashion:
>
> dump -0Lan -C 16 -f - /usr | gzip -2 | <ssh-to-some-remote-location>
>
> So, I have a file named dump0-var.gz.

Your dump is just a regular file sitting on a hard drive with a file
system that's already mounted.  If you created an on-disk ISO image of
that file, you'd have to mount the file system of that ISO image to read
the file.  If you burned the ISO image to a CD, you'd mount the CD's
file system to read it.  Either way, the file remains just a file, and
is read using restore(8).

I'll offer a guess that you're confusing things with tar(1) (which is
often used for backups) and the recent changes.  From the manpage:

    This implementation can extract from tar, pax, cpio, zip, jar, ar,
    and ISO 9660 cdrom images and can create tar, pax, cpio, ar, and
    shar archives.

The above means you can now do nifty things like 'tar xvf mybackup.iso',
and if you've configured a pre-processor for less(1), even niftier
things like:

    less backup.tar.gz
    less backup.zip
    less backup.iso

It's also possible you might be thinking of file system snapshots (which
can be mounted).  Check the Handbook for details.

--
George