Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:39:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sym disabling controller LED?

Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net> wrote:

> I have a Dawicontrol 2975U SCSI controller, which is handled by the sym
> driver:
>
> sym0: <875> port 0xac00-0xacff mem
> 0xe3201000-0xe3201fff,0xe3203000-0xe32030ff irq 10 at device 8.0 on pci0
> sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
>
> I have connected the controller's LED-connector to the case hdd-LED and
> it works fine (for example during loading the kernel) until sym takes
> over the controller, then it remains dark.

Actually, that's a case of sym(4) failing to actuate the LED rather
than shutting it off.  Later sym chips control the LED in hardware,
but the '875 doesn't and the driver has to blink the LED.  The BIOS
supplied driver does, sym(4) apparently fails to do so for you.  I
seem to recall that there are several GPIO pins that can be used
to drive a LED; possibly this Dawicontrol adapter has the LED wired
to a non-standard port.

In case he doesn't pipe up here, contact sym(4)'s author, Gérard
Roudier <groudier@FreeBSD.org>.

sym(4) blinks the LED just fine on my equally '875-based Tekram
DC-390F.