Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:10:12 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 11:21:44PM +0100, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:
>>> Yes.  Compaq have this really crack-smoking idea about how the
>>> pcibios is supposed to work.  In a fit of brilliance, some rocket
>>> scientist decided they need filter out all the host->pci bridge
>>> entries.
>>>
>>> This hoses *all* the larger compaq DL and ML series, eg: DL360,
>>> DL380 etc.
> [snip]
>
> I have always set my DL's (including DL380s and the earlier 1850s) to
> think they are running SCO Unix (do this in SmartStart) with zero
> defects.
>
> If you zapped your SmartStart slice, rejoice in the fact that you can
> dd the slice from some other box, over a network, and it will work ok
> :) Or use the CD.

Yes, but that dosn't alter the fact the someone at Compaq smokes
crack.  And that they don't really care about compatability.

Early Compaq desktops had a hack in their BIOS that looked for a
specific signature on the hard drive, and wouldn't boot if the drive
didn't come from Compaq.  No upgrades from Fry's for you!

That has changed, but the attitude that allowed it has not.

I avoid Compaq when I can.

> Joshua

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com