Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:31:21 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:    GEOM/vinum compatibility (was: vinum lock panic at startup -current)

--T/5gogCFEf4tDWvL

On Friday,  8 August 2003 at 15:24:09 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20030808130912.A429138CCB@www.fastmail.fm>, "Aaron Wohl" writes:
>
>>  Panicstring: mutex Giant owned at /usr/src/sys/geom/geom_dev.c:198
>
> Ok, then I think I know what it is.
>
> Vinum appearantly does not go through SPECFS but rather calls into
> the disk device drivers directly.  That is a pretty wrong thing to
> do,

It used to be the standard.  What's the issue?

> and it seems that vinum does not respect the D_NOGIANT flag which
> GEOM recently started setting.

Probably because it didn't know about it.  As I've said before, it
would be nice to be informed about the changes you're making,
particularly given your stated intention of doing no work on Vinum.
Could you please give details (privately if you want, but I think this
could be of interest to other people too).

Greg

--T/5gogCFEf4tDWvL

--T/5gogCFEf4tDWvL--