Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        servex <servex@servex.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS password changing

> Ok, two problems.. the first, this may be a stupid question, but when I
> use the pw useradd command, it adds the user to /var/yp/master.passwd,
> which is what I want, but after it does this, I cant change the password
> (because it doesn't have one?) im not sure how to go about this. Is there
> an easier way to do this?

Are you running rpc.yppasswdd?  See rpc.yppasswdd(8) for more
details.  If that doesn't help, you could try leaving the password
field blank until you change it, or taking the MD5/DES hash from
another account, pasting it into that one, and then changing it.

> second, im running an openbsd box as a mail server, nis works fine, but I
> add +:::::::::/sbin/nologin, and when I test it, it
> says.. su: /sbin/nologin : no such file or directory, when in fact the
> file does exist. Now, I realize this is probably an openbsd problem, but I
> thought id ask, just in case someone could tell me what was up.

This works for me, only I use +:*::::::::/sbin/nologin.  I believe
some SSH implementations allow users to run a command even if their
shell isn't valid (e.g., check if `ssh <user> who` works).  Just a thought.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it."
	-- Dilbert