Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 13:55:19 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>, freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla 1.1 is stable *not* devel.

Jeremy Lea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:51:57AM -0700, Joe Kelsey wrote:
>
>>If you actually *read* the roadmap, it clearly shows a twin-track
>>approach to mozilla development, *both* tracks being *stable* releases.
>

> I don't know which roadmap you're reading, but you obviously don't follow or
> understand Mozilla development.  1.1 is an unstable development release.
> There will be no more releases on the 1.1 branch.  1.0 was their first API
> freeze, and consumers of the mozilla.org code have been encouraged to follow
> that branch.

I cannot see this view in *any* of the roadmap wording.  They clearly
intend that the 1.0.x releases will be done to support Netscape.  There
is absolutely *no* wording anywhere about whether or not they will ever
release the 1.0.1 formally, other than to support Netscape 7.

In fact, the release notes for 1.1 state clearly as the first two bullet
points:

o Imporved application and layout performance
o Imporved stability

By this and any other measure you choose (release size (smaller), code
size (smaller), code speed (faster), ...) mozilla 1.1 is the *stable*
branch, whereas mozilla 1.0.x is the vendor-support branch.

> As such I think that the chosen port names are ideal.  Names like mozilla10,
> etc. just lead to repo bloat, because they eventually have to be copied or
> moved.
>
> Remember, mozilla.org does not release browsers for public consumption.

That is why we have a port.

> They are for testing purposes only.  Because we happen to have no better
> browser is our problem...  Stability for mozilla.org is defined in terms of
> the API, not the MTBF.

Indeed, mozilla1.0 crashes *constantly* with almost *any* plugin.
mozilla1.1 *rarely* dies due to plugin issues.  That means that
mozilla1.1 is more stable.  There is no information available anywhere
as to whether or not they will ever actually release 1.0.1 to anyone
other than Netscape and also no information about what is different
between the hypothetical 1.0.1 and 1.1.

The entire roadmap page says that the ABI is frozen for all of mozilla
1.x.  That means 1.1, 1.2, etc.

I think that now that the 1.0 release is out, the 1.0 rationale needs to
be revisited, and I have sent a note to this effect to
suggestions@mozilla.org.

/Joe