Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 06:13:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf & compat

> > So a program which, when build a.out, require an a.out libgnumalloc,
> > will, when built ELF, *not* require an ELF libgnumalloc?
> >
> > How does that work?
>
> They were provided for link-time compatability with old a.out binaries.
> We have not been providing gnumalloc at all for some time.
>
> The presense of the ELF libgnumalloc stub is just an oversight.
>
> The reason for /usr/lib/compat in the first place was so that ld and
> autoconfig wouldn't "find" -lgnumalloc or -lresolv etc, but without
> busting backwards compatability with "old" binaries.

Ah.  So it's a shared library backward compatability thing, not
a "compatability library for linking code that expects those
libraries" thing.

This is very confusing.  I initially thought it was referring to
"libcompat", which as we all know implements source compatability
routines not specified by standards; it was only after reading
through the entire thread that I surmised (wrongly) that it was
for programs that expected to be able to link with certain third
party libraries...

This type of thing needs a bit less assumed context.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.