Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:01:58 -0500
From:      splite <splite@purdue.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network adapters: Technical issues

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 09:16:14PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:

> Also, we have two problematic 486-based clients. One is a 486 with an EISA
> bus and another is a 486 with VLBus. EISA adapters about TRIPLE the going
> price, and I haven't found any VLBus cards at all. (Does anyone know if
> they exist?) Also, I'm aware that the practical throughput of 16-bit ISA is

Only VLB Ethernet cards I've ever seen advertised can be had from:

http://www.ahhz.com/

(look for "Boca Research VL Bus Ethernet", item code #31)

That place is also constantly (for around a year now) hawking said cards
on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=49472433

I've never bought from them or used those cards, but the copy claims that
they're "NE 2100 and NE1500T compatible", so they may work with the ed(4)
driver.  But, the copy also says "Does not use DMA", so I don't know if
the board would have any speed advantage over an ISA version.