Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:49:00 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POLL: Linux preferences from FreeBSD users

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>Hello!
>
>On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> QUESTION: Of the various modern Linux distributions, which do you
>> prefer? and why?
>
>I used to like Slackware but moved to Ubuntu two or three years before. I
>liked Slackware simplicity but its package system was too simple and then I
>moved to FreeBSD. Some years before I had found Ubuntu and stayed there for
>Linux boxes. Some people prefer Debian over Ubuntu but I dislike Debian
>approach on packages (namely patch the older version as long as you can
>instead of switch to a newer one).

We currently use CentOS for servers and Macs for desktops.  Over
the years we have gone from Caldera->SuSE->CentOS, and I am most
comfortable in an RPM environment having used it since 1995 or so.

All our server software is built under the OpenPKG portable
packaging system whether the system is FreeBSD, Linux, OS X,
OpenSolaris, or even SCO OpenServer 5.0.6.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they
want and deserve to get it good and hard. == H.L. Mencken