Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:36:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@verizon.net>
To:        Shizuka Kudo <shizukakudo_99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@verizon.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic on boot (devfs_find)

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Shizuka Kudo wrote:

> --- Bryan Liesner <bleez@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > I was able to get a kernel up and running (strangely) on 3/12, but
> > commits after that cause an immediate panic as soon as init starts.
> >
> > If I build a kernel from sources cut off at 3/10/2003 at 12:00,
> > everything works fine.
> >

> It is related to the sys/geom/geom_event.c commit on 3/11/2003:
>
> > Revision 1.20 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Mon Mar 10 23:41:41 2003 UTC (5
> days, 5 hours ago) by phk
> > Branch: MAIN
> > CVS Tags: HEAD
> > Changes since 1.19: +5 -0 lines
> > Diff to previous 1.19 (colored)
> >
> > If we run out of consumers while orphaning them, and the provider's geom
> > is withering, destroy the provider when done.
> >
> > This was exposed by the recent change to geom_dev's orphaning logic
>
> If I reverted it back to a previous version (1.19) then the machine booted OK.
>
> BTW, I also found that adding INVARIANTS options into the kernel can prevent this problem as well.
>
> Regards,

I have reverted back to rev 1.19 and all seems to be running OK.  I
have /dev/null, /dev/stderr, /dev/apm, and /dev/mixer back.
When the faulty kernel _did_ boot (after about a million retries to
coax a core dump), these devices were missing at boot, or would
disappear shortly after.

Thanks.
I think Poul-Henning will have enough information to go with now...