Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:28:16 -0400
From:      "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>
To:        "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>, "Jason Thomson" <jason.thomson@mintel.com>, <so14k@so14k.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Ware 8506 Series, 3DM, Upgrading to 9000 Series

> Dear Collective,
>
> We're using a 3Ware 8506-8 card in a production box running RELENG_4_9,
> and have had a few lockups that appear to be related to the card
> stopping responding. The logs reveal very little (presumably because it
> can't write logging information to disk!), there was no Panic so I don't
> have /var/crash information (Again i suspect even if there was a panic,
> if it can't write to disk...).

What harddisks are you using?  Are you using maxtors as well?  I am
beginning to believe it might be some weird issue with maxtors + 3wares in
communicating errors.  At least one other member here noticed that as well
and the other gentleman with the 7506 problem noticed that characteristic
against a set of 10 3ware cards.

Through anectodal evidence, a colleague of mine had issues as well with a
3ware card... once again using maxtor disks.

- Carroll Kong