Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:01:45 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf_loadfile: kernel already loaded

Juli Mallett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (Trying to boot an alternate kernel on FreeBSD/i386 with normal loader =

> running
>  at a console, loading kernel from a disk.)
>
> It looks like after I "unload" the default kernel, and try to "load" a =
new
> one, when I go to "boot", loader is trying to load some other kernel, a=
nd
> I'm not sure why, but I get the "elf_loadfile: kernel already loaded", =
> was trying to fix this on my p4 branch by adding some printfs to figure=

> out what it was trying to load, and since I didn't have libstand=20
> around, it
> threw a fit at me during the compile and I gave up, so I figured I'd ju=
st
> mail here and ask if anyone has seen what I'm talking about, or knows i=
> it is fixed, or how to fix it.

I'm intrigued. The word "boot", as modified by loader.4th, only tries to =

load a kernel is "kernelname" is not defined. This variable should be=20
set by the inner workings of loader when a kernel is loaded, iirc.

So, the question is why kernelname is not getting set when you load a=20
new one. Or, if it _is_ getting set, something very, very weird is going =
on.

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
TCO
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br