Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:06:35 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 at 20:25 SAT, Brett Taylor wrote:

> I did NOT write the above!

I did.  :-)

> admin SHOULD be able to remove the silly default installed stuff from rc.d
> tree, but he hadn't.  Of course he also allowed a root compromise for a

Well, the "correct" way would be to remove the symlinks from the
startup/shutdown directories for the various runlevels, i.e.
/etc/rc.d/rc[0-5].d

This can become a rather involved process.  Also, the X-based "runlevel
editor" that ships with Redhat doesn't exactly make its own function clear to
the newbie admin.

> month so clearly he wasn't a great sys admin.  The ports system in FreeBSD
> does the same thing - if you install ssh you'll be running sshd.  I was

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I find it easier to handle one shell script in
/user/local/etc/rc.d  ;)  That's not the real issue, though - as you've said
below.

> under the impression though that the "I've never ever run Linux" install
> choice for RH pretty much installed everything (I could certainly be
> wrong.)
>
> In any case, FBSD does NOT during the initial installation install and
> automatically startup things like gopherd, innd, bootpd (all which were on

You're pretty much correct.  If FreeBSD commited the same "sin", its easiest
install option would simply have installed each and every package for you,
without asking.  That's more or less what RH does.  Whenever I do a
quick-and-dirty RH install (not in a while, thank god), I have to spend a few
minutes afterwards pruning the SysV-like startup.

> All of this is moot really because the sys admin SHOULD know what's
> running on startup and deal with it whether it was initially installed or
> he did it later.

Quite so.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878