Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:48:29 +0000
From:      Mike Pumford <michaelp@bsquare.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clock occasionally jumps backwards on 11.1-RELEASE

On 22/01/2018 17:07, Alan Somers wrote:
> Since upgrading my jail server to 11.1-RELEASE, the clock occasionally
> jumps backwards by 5-35 minutes for no apparent reason.  Has anybody seen
> something like this?
>
> Details
> =====
>
> * Happens about once a day on my jail server, and has happened at least
> once on a separate bhyve server.
>
> * The jumps almost always happen between 1 and 3 AM, but I've also seen
> them happen at 06:30 and 20:15.

That's the window when the period scripts are run which if you have a
default configuration and a lot of jails will put the system under a lot
of stress.
> * I'm using the default ntp.conf file.

Are you running ntpd inside the jail or on the jail host? On my jail
systems (which are 10.3 and 11.1) I run ntpd out the jail host (outside
all jails) and not inside the jails and the jails then get the accurate
time as the underlying host has accurate time.

Mike

--
Mike Pumford | Senior Software Engineer

T: +44 (0) 1225 710635