Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:22:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Thomas Lau <lkthomas@hkicable.com>
Cc:        Gregory Maxwell <greg@linuxpower.cx>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New gigabit cards

On 2001-03-29, Thomas Lau scribbled:

# OK, if I want to buy a new fiber NIC, How can I connect them?
# I need fiber manual and connection kit please

You will need a switch (or a router, or a hub if you can't afford the
others) that supports the same type of connector that is on the network
card and runs at the same speed. For example, if your gigabit Ethernet
card is 1000BaseTX, it is copper based and requires a switch that
supports 1000BaseTX and cables that are at least Cat5e compliant.

Since you are looking at fiber gigabit Ethernet card, you will most
likely need to get a switch that supports the SC connector (the one with
the two square connectors per port, and most likely multi-mode SC-to-SC
fiber cable.

You can buy the cables or make them yourself.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found