Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:34:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to get a reverse DNS mapping for a 10.x network ? (repos

On 10-Nov-99 Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run a small platform where there are about 30 PCs, all on the same
> 10.0.1.x subnet (according to the RFC-1918).
>
> I have a translating gateway (using FreeBSD and nat) to the internal
> enterprise network, where "standard", legal IP addresses are used.
>
> I have set up a DNS for my internal network, which can forward queries
> to the enterprise DNS server (as all outgoing packets go through natd,
> this allows people in the inside network to surf the intranet and mount
> NFS partitions from outside NFS servers).
>
> My problem is that I cannot get the reverse mapping to work : I have set
> up named with two files for direct and reverse mappings and only the
> direct mapping works. From what I've read in the named doc, I may have
> to create a "root server" for the 10.x.y.z (10.in-addr.arpa zone), but,
> so far I haven't foud how to do it.
>
> Any taker ?

your zone file looks ok to me,

Are sure you have this in named.conf ?:

zone "1.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "0.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa";
};

killall -HUP named; any errors in /var/log/messages ?

do you have 127.0.0.1 as your first nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Regards,
--
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net