Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2016 12:04:42 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi 3 support

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:43:31PM -0700, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> Limited support for Raspberry Pi 3 has just landed in HEAD. No SMP
> and no 3D yet. And no BT/WiFi drivers. If you would like to give it a spin
> read this info, it may save you some googling time:
>=20
> - SD card layout is the same as for RPi or RPi 2
>=20
> - Firmware and DTB files can be downloaded from official repo:
>     https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
>     Just copy them as-is to FAT partition on SD. There are plans to
>     import latest .dts files and provide rpi3.dtb just like for
>     Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pi 2
>=20
> - boot mode on RPi 3 is controlled by arm_control parameter in config.txt,
>     set it to 0x200 to boot in 64-bit mode
>=20
> - To reduce mess with consoles for now only PL01x UART is used (old one,=
=20
>     not miniUART) in all boot component: firmware, U-Boot, kernel.
>=20
> - On RPi 3 firmware defaults to miniUART, use "dtoverlay=3Dpi3-disable-bt=
??? in
>     config.txt to revert to old behaviour
>=20
> - A lot of peripherals are disabled in default dtb, to enable them add th=
is
>     line to config.txt before any dtoverlay line:
>         dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
>=20
> - MMC is not included in dtb, add "dtoverlay=3Dmmc??? to config.txt to en=
able it
>=20
> - Stock U-Boot uses miniUART as console so manual patching of
>     include/configs/rpi.h required. Just search for CONFIG_BCM283X_MU_SER=
IAL
>     or CONFIG_PL01X_SERIAL
>=20
> - ubldr was switched for loader.efi, hence CONFIG_EFI is required for U-B=
oot.
>     Patch include/configs/rpi.h or pass CONFIG_EFI=3Dy to gmake when buil=
ding
>     u-boot. Diane Bruce works on u-boot-rpi3 port that addresses all these
>     issues.
>=20
> - No crochet config for RPi 3 yet
>=20
> - To save you hassle, here are u-boot.bin, loader.efi, config.txt:
>     https://people.freebsd.org/~gonzo/arm/rpi3/
>     Copy these files to FAT partition along with firmware mentioned above
>=20
> - bootcmd for EFI would look like:
>     fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} loader.efi; bootefi ${loadaddr} 0x100
>     where 0x100 is FDT blob address matching the value of device_tree_add=
ress
>     parameter in config.txt

Thank you so much for the hard work! It's great to see the progress
being made and I'm so excited!

If I were to set up an sdcard manually. What kind of partition layout
would I need? How would I install U-Boot to it?

Thanks,

--=20
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--