Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:01:52 +1200
From:      "Sarton O'Brien" <roguetr@patho.gen.nz>
To:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -nat port redirection

C J Michaels wrote:

> Apparently you didn't read the original question.  Sarton is trying to use
> the nat port redirection of ppp, using the pppctl command.  So your
> suggestions Dennis are not relevant.

Yeah, I figured he meant ppp and not the user ppp daemon I was running.

> The command you are using looks correct to me.  I have a couple lines in my
> config...
>
>  nat port udp 10.0.0.2:30000-30500 30000-30500
>  nat port tcp 10.0.0.2:30000-30500 30000-30500
>
> ...that work fine.

After making use of tcpdump I figured out it was working correctly, the
person calling me was using my dns name which (thanks workmate who has
access to such configurations) had a different foward and reverse, so it
was actually a dns problem. When my IP was used it worked like a charm.

> I take it that the port redirection isn't working for you.  What exactly is
> happening?  I usually find that telnetting to the port is a good test to see
> what is going on, or to at least see if the port is being listened to.
>
> -Chris

Well, buddyphone works but now I am working on Icq. After watching
tcpdump for a WHILE, I realised I would be there forever working out the
port ranges used for file tranfers and chat. You wouldn't happen to know
ICQs port ranges for these?

Thanks for all the input so far.

Sarton O'Brien