Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:33:18 +0200
From:      Kostas Papadopoulos <kpapad@hyper.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System stops 10min after starting a "make world"

Hi all.

Just following up to my own posting a day ago, supplying the solution.
Hopefully it might be useful for others in the future.

As said in my original message, I was suspecting some kind of weird Gigabyte
BX2000 BIOS behaviour (as I had already upgraded the BIOS from v1.7 to v1.8
to v.F2), as outlined in my previous post. So I loaded Award BIOS v1.8, then
booted once with the "CLEAR CMOS" switch (JP14) on the motherboard closed,
which cleared all BIOS user-settings to factory defaults.

I then proceeded with disabling Power Management features as before, only
this time the setting was actually honored by the motherboard, as the system
has been progressing with a "make world" for the last hour :-)

Moral of the story: Don't rely on the BIOS configuration settings being
displayed to you after a BIOS upgrade, being the ones actually used by the
motherboard. If in doubt, clear the CMOS holding the BIOS-settings and
re-configure. At least that worked for me and Gigabyte's BX2000 motherboard,
YMMV.

Thanks to those who responded,

KP.

[Original message quote]
>Symptom:
>
>The system stops (apparently due to going to suspension mode)
>exactly 10 minutes (timed several times with a stop-watch) after I
>start a "make world". Otherwise, the system will happily run for hours,
>being idle or it can e.g. re-compile the FBSD 3.4 / 3.2 kernel without
>a hitch.
>
>Hardware:
>
>Motherboard: Gigabyte BX2000 (this one is supposed to be on the top
>of the list in the various Web-sites and forums). Have tried several
>versions v1.7, v1.8 (15-Dep-99) and v.F2 (21-Dec-99) of its Award BIOS.
>Have tried disabling Power Management from the BIOS and also tried
> various combinations (PM with APM enabled/disabled etc), without any
>success.
[...]