Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:44:13 -0700
From:      Alex Huppenthal <alex@comsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BSD Radius and PM3s

Two questions.

Our situation
---------------
We have several PM3 concentrators from Lucent / Livingston

In one location we get great throughput and in another we get poor
throughput. The
POP where we have great throughput is actually 30 miles from the server
we're downloading
from.

The PM3 collocated with the server has poor throughput.

In the CO associated with the better throughput we go through a Nortel
switch,
in the poorer one an Ericsson switch..

Both are downloading from the same BSD 3.1 system.

Is anyone using a good digital 56KB port concentrator, like the PM3? Or
having good/bad
luck with PM3s?

Any experiences monitoring FreeBSD Radius for PM3 service quality?

Our solution
-------------

We're parsing the Radius database on a FreeBSD 3.1 system. Our goal is
to load the Radius output
from the FreeBSD system into an SQL database. I've looked at Cistron
Radius and Merit, and don't
see any clear interface to the logfiles.

Eventually, we'll post logfile -> MySQL code and SQL parser.

Pointers to logfile parsers might be a start. A really really good 56KB
port concentrator/modem bank
would be even more fun.. :)

 -Alex