Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 17:22:39 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        John Hartley <john@ncipher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device major number allocation

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:58:47 GMT, John Hartley wrote:

> 	I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get a device major
> number allocated for this driver.

The way it normally works is that a major is picked arbitrarily when the
driver is imported into FreeBSD.  I can't recall drivers for which major
numbers were reserved before import.

How far are you from being able to submit your driver?  In the interim,
you could just pick one and run with it.

Ciao,
Sheldon.