Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 20:38:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chad M. Fraleigh" <chadf@bookcase.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local X packages

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> compile with X11R6, I don't ever want to see another imake file!

	The first time I saw Imakefiles I hated them. I mean for something
that is suppose to make things more portable and easier, it seems to be
very good at making things harder.

> However, if someone can figure out how to do it, I'm sure many
> would be *very* grateful; it takes me far longer to upgrade X
> than it does the rest of FreeBSD, and something always gets
> spammed in the process.

	Since I refuse to install most X packages in the /usr/X11R6
directory (I think xview was my only expection I've made). While doing
this is sometimes a pain because I have to modify several files, for the
most part it's trival.

	Adding these lines at the begining of the Imakefile (or .tmpl if
there is one) file after doing the patches and before doing the configure
will probably fix about 80-90% of them:

BINDIR          = $(PREFIX)/bin
MANPATH         = $(PREFIX)/man
LIBDIR          = $(PREFIX)/lib/X11
INCROOT         = $(PREFIX)/include
TOP_INCLUDES    = -I$(PREFIX)/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include
EXTRA_LIBRARIES = -L/usr/local/lib

	I don't see why this couldn't easily be added to the patches for
each package. Of course to fully integrate this would reguire that it's
don't to all the applications first, and then to the libraries (like xpm,
xview, etc..). That way you don't break anything that expects them in
/usr/X11R6 when they're in /usr/local.

	Since I'm using $(PREFIX) instead of /usr/local I need to do my
makes with PREFIX=/usr/local to override it using /usr/X11R6 when
USE_IMAKE is set. To impliment it for the real thing a new setting would
be needed (perhaps IMAKE_PREFIX with a default of /usr/X11R6) that could
be set in their environment.

-Chad