Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:37:23 +0530
From:      Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@efn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If you come only once, you've been cheated.

The Hermit Hacker rearranged electrons thusly:

> We run Majordomo2 over here, which has subscription options, one of which
> is a -nomail option that allows someone to subscribe from an address, but
> not receive email from the list to it ... so they can post from news and
> it will get to the list, or post from a different adddress they receive
> from ...

If this box is running mj2, a much better alternative is to set "posting
aliases".  Basically "send all posts to me at foo@bar, but don't mind if I post
using baz@qux"

> It does require someone to actually approve messages for those that aren't
> subscribed, but, again, with Mj2, there is a concept of multiple owners,
> so you could have two moderators assigned to a list making sure that no
> spam gets through, if the load warranted it ...

<AOL>  Leaving open to post lists is a magnet for spammers, and putting each
spammer into your access.db is just doing what Hansje Brinker did some few
hundred years ago when he stuck his finger into a dike to stop the sea coming
in :)

Now, if this list would also use the RBL and DUL it'd be great (it would give
several people a rapid clue that their mailservers are being abused by
spammers - and as for the DUL, direct to MX is a favorite spammer tactic) :)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org