Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:13:16 +0300
From:      Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?Martin_Waschb=C3=BCsch?= <martin@waschbuesch.de>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP version retirement
References:  <CF1F28D6-1072-4BE6-B124-A97DE43FA4E6@waschbuesch.de> <64faf143-bae3-378c-3ee2-b196c2ea4111@astart.com> <16731AF5-68E9-4E41-8D21-CF5917BE32A4@waschbuesch.de> <20190810231216.GA23293@lyxys.ka.sub.org> <CD11C7D8-DC57-4402-848C-06BBAD220D8B@waschbuesch.de> <D7D5D66C-AD53-4F2E-95E5-F0131DBC82AA@lastsummer.de> <CAP7rwcjR8SYmeJJe9KrmZRJj7qQpnjQ6N8kaqrdpDSDB4cFH6g@mail.gmail.com> <C6261FE6-1FAD-44D1-BD06-B33A0CEAAC85@waschbuesch.de> <CAP7rwcg%2B2GeMLz1a%2B-abcjNcA_-mE3B%2Bh5ovC5iU03EKiHbAZg@mail.gmail.com> <2DE6652A-86FF-4F07-9F8D-97E845D41E41@waschbuesch.de> <CAP7rwcgJ9gReDfECqSLbHKxK5Y86guJSA0pq68pRjwp0eXt%2B8A@mail.gmail.com>

> On 12. Aug 2019, at 16:29, Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> wrote:
>=20
andoned version is silly because it=E2=80=99s more work to delete a port tha=
t to just keep it in the tree for a while longer.
k a maintainer is or may be regarded as someone who can be expected to provi=
de product support of some kind?
>>>=20
>>> If you believe that handling updates, analyzing submitted and upstream
>>> patches and development, and answering a bevy of questions for every
>>> major update is effortless, then you drastically underestimate the
>>> amount of work that goes into the ports tree.
>>=20
>> You completely misunderstand me.
>> I know there is a lot of effort going into this. I disagree only in that I=
 do not believe there should be any expectations towards maintainers.
>> It is voluntary work. Spare time, etc. I am grateful for the effort peopl=
e put into this, but I strongly believe no one should act towards volunteers=
 with any expectations as to what they should do, how much time they spend, e=
tc.
>>=20
>> So, I find it wrong to say, as I understood you, to remove a package from=
 the ports tree because otherwise others people, for instance users of FreeB=
SD, would have the *expectation* of receiving support for those packages.
>> That perception of any kind of entitlement towards volunteers is wrong, I=
MHO.
>>=20
>> And that is why I answered that part of your message because it is not (f=
or reasons stated above) a valid argument against having outdated software i=
n the ports tree.
>=20
> Ah! You're right, I did completely misunderstand you.
>=20
> You're correct that we don't provide any semblance of support for the
> upstream software. Absolutely, and under no circumstances should
> anyone have to.
>=20
> I'm referring to support of the port itself. Maintainership requires
> responding to private emails asking for help; evaluating, testing, and
> approving submitted patches; responding to PRs about changes or fixes
> or poor behaviour (90% of the time related to portmaster); responding
> to error reports; and so on.
>=20
> We do expect those things from maintainers, because those are what are
> required to keep the ports tree running. And we actively drop
> maintainership from ports where maintainers routinely ignore those
> responsibilities, regardless of whether they have a commit bit.
>=20
> As decke noted, maintainership of a small port with relatively low
> deployment is pretty smooth (and don't get me wrong, they're as or
> more important than the big packages). But a huge and complex
> framework like php is a massive undertaking, with a near-constant
> barrage of complex patches that require highly complex testing
> strategies, and thousands of dependent ports to worry about for every
> change.

Sure, if you feel like that is so there is no need to argue about it. I stil=
l feel the latent drift of =E2=80=9Cphp is high profile and low profile is e=
asy=E2=80=9D like a sneaky way out of a fruitful discussion ignoring the req=
uest made by users: don=E2=80=99t kill software on tight schedules if there i=
s no technical need for it.

Unless you want to state a valid technical reason. For PHP 5.6 removal espec=
ially one has to assume that general arguments are merely made up here to fi=
t the general lack of disagreement on the grace period issue.

That=E2=80=99s fine and easier to say you don=E2=80=99t want to do it vs. it=
 cannot be done. :)

> I suggested that it might be possible for stale languages to remain in
> the tree, as long as the above support wasn't required or expected.
> But, honestly, Franco's response mocking the offer made my desire to
> help him somewhere at or below zero, and has pretty much ensured that
> nobody else in portmgr is going to be eager to get skin in the game.

I=E2=80=98m merely pointing out you=E2=80=98re unwilling to do it and your o=
ffer was impractical for users running any PHP extension but you were not st=
raight forward in your answer previously. This segment at least makes it cle=
ar so thank you for being frank about it. To sum it up there is no desire by=
 maintainers to do what users requested here so yay for that conclusion at l=
east.

Cheers,
Franco