Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:51:24 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        peter <peter@worldinternet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Afterstep1.0

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 09:53:11AM +0000, peter wrote:
> On 2.2.5 I have installed AfterStep 1.0 from the CD it has put it in the
> following dir: /usr/ports/x11/afterstep/. So I go to that directory and
> then goto : work/AfterStep-1.0/afterstep in that directory I do :
> ./afterstep and I get the following message : "AfterStep: another WH is
> running".
>
> WHAT DO I DO NOW ????

I believe you're experiencing the error because you are already
running a window manager (xdm, fvwm, etc.) when you try to invoke
afterstep.

Try stopping your X window manager, comment your existing window
manager in ~/.xinitrc, add `exec afterstep' to your ~/.xinitrc,
and run startx to start up afterstep.

# my old window manager
# exec fvwm95

# start afterstep
exec afterstep

Make sure that the afterstep executable is in your path.
Did you perform a `make install' as root?
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.