Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:05:29 +0100
From:      spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what can i do with a 486?

i've been following this because i have a compaq sitting on a closet shelf.
mine has 40 megs of ram, so hope springs eternal
   [ just to prove i can really do it ].

i've let people more expert than me answer first,
   but i've played around with kernel tweaking and had some success,
   so i'll throw in my $0.02.

take out absolutely --everything-- not related to
   the hard_drive, the keyboard and the crt,
   even though there are other things that are important,
   like networking.
if you can't get this to come up,
   it may be time for a good scotch and some wistful memories.

kill the remaining pseudo_devices.
do you need kbdmux in the console ?
ADAPTIVE_GIANT ?  PREEMPTION ?  INET ?  UFS_ACL ?  SCSI_DELAY ?  KBD_INSTALL_CDEV ?

you get the idea.
once you get it working, you can always add things back, one at a time.
when it fails, you know your limit.

i do admire your stick_to_it_iveness.
but, remember, new two_year old technology is pretty cheap,
   when you can find it.

can't promise this will work.
hope it helps.

rob